Hungary Residency

Anyone can obtain permanent residence for Hungary (and thereby the EU) if they have a reason to stay in Hungary and integrate into the society. The words permanent residence naturally mean that one must actually live in the country and have a registered address.


Permit Type:
Permanent residence

How to become a Hungarian resident

For non-EU citizens
In the first year you will get a Visa at the Consulate which you can travel into Hungary with. This Visa is valid for 30 days from the date you entered the Schengen area. During this period you will need to go to the Hungarian Immigration Office in person to receive the final Schengen Residence Permit and to arrange the Address Registration.

In the second year Non-EU citizens can obtain a residence permit at the Hungarian Immigration Office. You need to prove your employment (Work permit and labor agreement/employment contract) and your accommodation (i.e. rental agreement).

Immigration Card

The Immigration Card can be obtained someone who:

  • has been residing continuously in Hungary for at least 3 years and;
  • has not been absent from Hungary for more than 90 days annually and is currently residing in Hungary.

The following people can apply for an immigration card already after one year:

  • People of Hungarian origin or those who have/had Hungarian relatives.
  • People who are married to a Hungarian citizen or a foreigner holding a Hungarian immigration card (whom have been married for 24 months)

This permit allows you to:
You may be gainfully employed in Hungary.
Unrestricted entry and longer term stay.

This permit does not allow you to:

  • Work in other Schengen countries.

How can we help you?

  • Legal assistance.
  • Assistance in compiling the necessary documentation.
  • Mandatory attachments – Advising on the contents in question.
  • Representing the client in the process with power of attorney. (If applicant is required to appear in person we will inform you and assist in this matter. If applicant is required to do so this would be only once)
  • Official translations of mandatory documentation.

We also offer additional relocation and immigration services:

  • Health insurance – We will search and sources options for you.
  • School – We will find the appropriate schooling you require.
  • Residential – We would assist in the house-hunt and relocation process.